July 4, 2018

Work permit incidents

  1. Installation of new Sulfuric acid tank was going on. Two employees were welding on top of the tank. Suddenly the neighboring acid tank exploded. Two persons died. Root Causes were nascent hydrogen caught fire and Hot work was going one very near to acid filled tank.
  2. Two workers were doing maintenance work inside the kettle. Personnel from production started charging CO in the same kettle, assuming that it is empty & ready for charging next batch. Due to inhalation of carbon monoxide two workers died in the kettle.Root causes: Ineffectiveness of work permit system .

Courtesy: A.G.Shingore, National Safety Council

No comments:

Post a Comment