October 13, 2014

Cyclones and emergency preparedness

The ferocity of cyclone Hudhud makes me shiver. Wind speeds were reported to be 195 kmph. My thoughts go back to 1984 when a 120 kph wind speed cyclone hit the ammonia plant where I was shift in charge. The ammonia tank flare toppled and the safety valves of the tank were maintaining tank pressure as emergency power to the tank compressors was lost. Luckily for us, the area around the plant was sparsely populated and a disaster was averted.
A parallel ammonia tank flare was erected in record time and we managed to connect it to the existing line from the tank and control the situation.
Visak has many chemical industries and refineries and the cyclone would have badly hit them. I hope the situation is brought back under control quickly.

Contribute to the surviving victims of Bhopal by buying my book Practical Process Safety Management" 

No comments:

Post a Comment